There are some things you never think you’ll google – like pregnancy safe sandwiches. But here I am, 21 weeks pregnant and missing an overstuffed deli meat sandwich. Just because you’re pregnant doesn’t mean you have to abstain from something delicious (like a sandwich). Aside from salads as an easy pregnancy lunch idea, like Sandwiches to Eat While Pregnant.
Did you know most deli meats are on the DO NOT EAT DURING PREGNANCY list? Safe deli meats are dried and salted, like pepperoni and salami. Processed lunch meat should be avoided during pregnancy to prevent listeriosis, an illness caused by the bacteria listeria. According to the FDA, pregnant women are about 10 times more likely to get listeriosis than other healthy adults (source).
The Best Sandwiches to Eat While Pregnant
If you are craving a quick easy sandwich, check out my three favorite deli-meat free sandwiches.
BLT with Avocado
I never appreciate a BLT as much as I do now! There is something so wonderful about crispy turkey bacon (or real bacon!), fresh lettuce, a juicy tomato, and shmear of mayonnaise. I also like to add a little bit of salted avocado from time to time. Extra ingredients to upgrade a BLT include: fried egg, sprouts, fig jam, pesto, tomato butter, and chipotle mayo.
BLT with Avocado
- 3-4 slices cooked turkey bacon
- 4 slices tomato
- romaine or butter lettuce leaves washed, dried
- 1/4 sliced avocado
- 1 tsp mayo
- salt and pepper
- 1 Portuguese roll OR bread of choice toasted or crisped under broiler in oven
- Spread mayo on one side of Portuguese roll.
- Layer bacon, lettuce, tomato, and avocado.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Chicken Salad with Jalapeños on Toasted Sourdough
One of my pregnancy cravings has been chicken salad with jalapeños. There’s something about the spicy pickled crunch of jalapeños combined with smooth chicken salad – especially on a slice of toasted sourdough. The kicker is: I don’t like making my own chicken salad while pregnant since the process makes me gag. So, I buy fresh chicken salad at our local market at the beginning of each week. Here is a great recipe for chicken salad if you want to make your own.
Fresh Mozzarella, Roasted Red Peppers, Pesto and Balsamic Glaze Sandwich
Caprese salad is such an easy dish and so delicious – especially when it’s paired with ciabatta bread. I layer pesto, fresh mozzarella slices, roasted red peppers, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze on ciabatta for a rustic italian sandwich. You can add fresh basil leaves, olive oil, or even grill the sandwich to take it to the next level.
If you crave sandwiches during pregnancy (like me), check out some MORE pregnancy safe sandwich ideas.
- Hot or Cold Lobster Roll
- Deviled Egg Salad Sandwich
- Crockpot Chicken Philly Grinder
- Grilled Peanut Butter, Banana, and Strawberry Jelly Sandwich
- Tuna Fish (not my favorite – but a limited amount of tuna is safe!)
- Veggies and Hummus Wrap
- Fluffernutter & Peanut Butter Sandwich
- Roasted Vegetable, Goat Cheese, Balsamic Glaze Panini
- 17 Alternatives to Lunch Meats
- Mouthwatering Vegetarian Sandwiches
Other safe sandwiches are: Peanut Butter and Jelly, Grilled Vegetable Panini