Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese is easy to make on the stovetop with just a few ingredients. It’s creamy, delicious, and a perfect fall dish.
Every fall I enjoy cooking seasonal dishes featuring foods that are at its peak, either in terms of harvest or flavor. Pumpkins are a popular fall food for cooking and decorating. I’m excited to share an easy stovetop Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese recipe.
Pumpkins are a type of winter squash packed with nutritional and health benefits. My daughters don’t always want to eat healthy food, so I sneak fruits and vegetables into their favorite meals.
Pumpkin puree has a mild flavoring and pairs well with cheddar cheese (plus it’s the same color!). Not only is pumpkin high in Vitamin A and C, which have natural immunity boosting properties, but its also low in calories.
Adding pumpkin puree to traditional macaroni and cheese makes it a smoother, creamier, and velvety dish. I find pumpkin to be a little bland, so sharp cheddar cheese and salt brings out the flavors.
The addition of crispy prosciutto truly elevates a bowl of pumpkin macaroni and cheese. I cook prosciutto in the oven until crispy and allow the grease to drain on a paper towel. Wait until the prosciutto cools to crumble it or you’ll burn your fingers! If you don’t like prosciutto, bacon is another option.
Looking for a dairy free option? I have made Dairy Free Macaroni and Cheese using Almond Milk, Daiya cheese, and Earth Balance butter. The flavors will be a little different but that is expected when you take full fat dairy out of a recipe. I truly love either variation!
Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 2 c milk
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried onion flakes
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 lb cooked pasta
- crispy proscuitto or bacon crumbles optional topping
- Melt butter and minced garlic over low heat in a large pot.
- Slowly add flour and stir with a spatula until a paste forms.
- Slowly whisk in milk until flour paste is combined.
- Sprinkle in cheese and whisk continuously until melted.
- Add pumpkin puree, salt, pepper, onion flakes and parsley
- Fold in pasta until noodles are covered. Serve immediately and enjoy with crumbled proscuitto or bacon bits.