This easy Orzo Pasta Salad with Cucumbers, Tomatoes, and Black Olives will be my go-to dish for every cookout this summer. I mean, who doesn’t love a cold pasta salad on a hot day? Not only is this a dairy free recipe, but it is also simple to make! Make sure you read until the end as I include a few optional ingredients!
This easy Orzo Pasta Salad with Cucumbers, Tomatoes and Black Olives is dairy free and delicious. It can be served warm or cold (but I like it best at room temperature). This is the perfect summer barbecue pasta salad or a beach picnic side dish. Another great way to enjoy it – alongside grilled chicken, shrimp, or fish!
Note: If you are not a fan of cherry tomatoes or black olives, you can easily substitute these items. Red or green peppers, kalamata olives, and artichoke hearts are tasty alternatives.
Orzo Pasta Salad with Cucumbers, Tomatoes and Black Olives Recipe
Fun fact: the majority of Orzo Pasta Salads I have consumed in my adulthood contain two of my favorite ingredients: feta cheese and kalamata olives. This recipe contains neither because I am on a dairy free diet and was out of kalamata olives.
With that being said, what I like most about this recipe is I usually have all of the ingredients in my kitchen. Orzo, cucumbers, and black olives are summer staples in our household. The dressing for the pasta salad is salty, tangy, and so easy to make. I recommend whisking it together beforehand and storing in an airtight glass container.
Orzo Pasta Salad with Cucumbers, Tomatoes and Black Olives
- 1 c dried orzo pasta
- 2 English cucumbers halved and sliced
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 can pitted black olives sliced
- 1 tsp olive oil for pasta water
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 1/2 c red wine vinegar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried parsley OR fresh chopped Italian parsley
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add orzo and cook until tender, (check box for actual cook time). Drain and rinse with cold water.
- While orzo cooks, whisk ingredients for dressing together in a mixing bowl.
- Add cooked and cooled orzo to a large mixing bowl. Add tomatoes, cucumbers, and olives.
- Pour dressing over the top and mix with two large spoons. Season with garlic salt, sea salt, and pepper. Garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.
- **If you are not serving immediately, reserve 1/4 cup of dressing to refresh the salad**