My Dairy Free Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas recipe is easy and delicious! I am a big fan of homemade enchiladas and recently tried a new type made with salsa verde.
Dairy Free Green Chili Enchiladas
Dairy free enchiladas are becoming a biweekly staple in our household. One baking dish feeds our family of four and sometimes leaves leftovers for lunch the next day. I like to bake my enchiladas with tinfoil first to ensure the inside of each tortilla is cooked well. Then I remove the tinfoil to crisp up the top and melt the cheese!
If you’re looking for a more traditional chicken enchilada recipe with red sauce, check out this post here. All of my enchilada recipes use flour tortillas and minimal ingredients. They are easy to make and even easier to assemble!
Fun Fact about the Green Chili and Salsa Verde
Fun Fact: There aren’t actually any green chilis in this recipe – but salsa verde always reminds me of a green chili! My mom’s original enchilada recipe actually calls for green chilis, and while I do enjoy their mild taste – this is more spicy and flavorful!
Dairy Free Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 glass baking dish
- 1 deep skillet
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 jar your favorite salsa medium size
- 2 bags dairy free cheese shreds We love Violife
- 1 jar tomatilla salsa large
- 6-8 flour tortillas medium or large
- Spray your cooking pan with spray or olive oil. Add your chicken breast and cover with 1 jar of salsa. Cook 12 to 15 minutes over medium-low heat, or until the internal temperature of the chicken registers at 165˚F.
- Remove the chicken from the salsa and shred OR cut into bite sized pieces.
- Coat the bottom of baking dish with a thin layer of tomatillo salsa.
- Lay a tortilla flat on the counter. Fill the center with chicken and shredded cheese. Fold the tortilla into a burrito and place seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat.
- Top the enchiladas with shredded cheese and tomatillo salsa.
- Cover with tinfoil and bake for 25 minutes on 350 degrees F. Remove tinfoil and bake for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted on top.
- Serve with dairy free sour cream!