Do you love a warm soup during the cold months ahead? Try this easy potato soup recipe with fresh vegetables, herbs, and half and half.
It’s getting chilly and we’ve been dreaming of different soups and stews to make. I am excited to be able to cook for my family a recipe that I make every holiday season. A delicious dish that can be served as a warm-up meal on Thanksgiving, or after Black Friday shopping, or even the first snow of the year, is an easy chunky potato soup.
There is no doubt that my family loves to cook. Now that I’ve moved closer to my sisters, parents, and brother, we are so excited to have a weekly Sunday family dinner. We never eat the same thing every weekend, and try to make recipes to matches the weather.
Do you want to make a chunky potato soup that can be enjoyed by everyone in the family?
Fresh vegetables, fresh herbs, seasoning, cream of chicken soup, and Half & Half are ingredients needed for a creamy potato soup. I like to let a soup cook slowly on the stove top. A slow cooking soup always makes the kitchen smell of sautéed vegetables. Plus, slow cooking thickens the consistency of a soup.
Chunky Potato Soup
- 3 celery stalks - diced
- 3 carrots - diced
- 5 russet potatoes - peeled and cubed
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cans water
- ½ cup Land O Lakes® Buttercream Style Half & Half
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tablespoon each salt and pepper *measurement is by preference*
- ½ tablespoon dried thyme
- Saute diced vegetables and butter in a dutch oven over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add one can of cream of chicken soup, plus 2 cans of water. Stir together. Add potatoes.
- Cook over medium low heat, stirring frequently. Slowly stir in Land O Lakes® Buttercream Style Half & Half.
- Add herbs, salt, and pepper. Cook for 1-2 hours on low heat, stirring every 20-30 minutes. **You may cover the soup during this time, or leave it uncovered. I do not like a watery soup (which is what happens when it is covered and the steam condenses), but if you do, cover it!**
The creaminess of the Land O Lakes® Buttercream Style Half & Half adds an incredible richness to the soup. It’s indulgence done right. Rich. Creamy. Perfect. You can use any flavor of Half & Half though!
The Chunky Potato Soup can be enjoyed with family and friends beside a toasty fire or as an appetizer for your Thanksgiving meal. No matter where or when you eat it, you’re going to want to make this for the ones you love!