There’s nothing like a warm bowl of easy and delicious dairy free potato soup. This creamy, but chunky, soup tastes a little like mashed potatoes – but so much better! My daughters love my recipe so much they asked for thirds! If you’re looking for a kid friendly dairy free soup, this recipe is for you!
There are many hearty soup recipes I wish I could eat, but most contain a lot of dairy. One of my favorite potato soup recipes by Paula Deen calls for one cup of heavy whipping cream! This easy dairy free recipe tastes just as amazing as one with dairy because the vegetables are slowly cooked in a non-dairy butter substitute.
Two very important tips: 1. Don’t overcook the potatoes! 2. Don’t over blend the soup – the chunks of vegetables mixed into the creamy soup is the best part!
How to Make Dairy Free Creamy Potato Soup
Dairy Free Potato Soup
- Immersion Blender
- Dutch Oven
- 1 lbs russett potatoes peeled, diced
- 1 onion diced
- 3 large carrots peeled, chopped
- 3 celery hearts chopped
- 4 tbsp Earth Balance Butter Stick cubed
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt add more for taste
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper add more for taste
- chives/green onions sliced
- Add 3 tablespoons of butter substitute, onion, celery, and carrots to a dutch oven. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add potatoes (peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes) to the vegetables, plus 1 tablespoon butter substitute. Season lightly with salt and pepper, stirring until butter is melted. Bring to boiling and cook for approximately 5 – 8 minutes or until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. Be careful to not overcook your potatoes or you'll end up decreasing the amount of chicken stock you have.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Cook for approximately 5 – 8 minutes or until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. Be careful to not overcook your potatoes!
- Use an immersion blender to carefully puree some of the chunky vegetables. To keep the soup from becoming a smooth paste, do NOT blend the entire pot – just a little bit! (Note: you can remove two cups of soup and blend in a separate container, then stir it back in to thicken).
- Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried parsley. Stir.
- Serve immediately – topped with chopped chives or green onions.
- Optional: Sprinkle with dairy free cheese shreds and crumbled bacon.