My favorite website Cooking Light has a great article that I must share with you… “10 Foods That Sound Healthy (But Aren’t).” Um… you should totally read it here because you WILL be surprised! Here is a rundown of the top ten foods that will trick you into believing they are good for your waistline. Who knew food could be a little liar!
1. Multi-grain and Wheat Bread
2. Prepared Salads
3. Reduced Fat Peanut Butter
4. “Energy” Bars
5. Bran Muffins
7. Packaged Turkey
8. Foods labeled “Fat-Free”
9. Restaurant Baked Potatoes
10. Sports Drinks
Okay, here are some of my comments on this list….and then I want to hear yours!
- I rarely order a salad from a restaurant with everything that is listed on the menu. And when I do order a salad it isn’t always because I am trying to watch my figure. Usually there are some sneaky little guys in prepared salads that make the big bowl not so healthy.
- For example, tortilla strips should never be put in a salad – they are high in fat.
- Dressing should always be on the side – if your lettuce is drowning than you are ingesting nothing but a bowl of mayo.
- I know reduced fat peanut butter isn’t good for you b/c of all the sugar but I don’t care. I love it!
- “Energy” bars are a waste of time b/c they NEVER fill me up and always give me a tummy ache.
- Muffins sold in grocery stores are the devil. They taste so good but they are SO bad for you.
- Packaged turkey makes me nauseous – its slimy and so not fresh. Do yourself a favor and wait in the deli counter line and order something low sodium.
- A fully loaded baked potato should be a meal in itself – not a side item. Sour cream, cheese, butter, bacon bits = heart attack.
Leave a Reply