In my quest to eating healthier, I whipped up this recipe with gnocchi, olives, spinach, tomatoes, and chicken sausage. Gnocchi is one of those items that I can’t get enough of – they’re like little puffs of heaven and good for the soul.
The gnocchi is my favorite part of the dish, cooked separately in boiling salted water. The spinach was fresh, cooked in a little olive oil and garlic. The olives and diced tomatoes are canned organic. And the chicken sausage can be any brand or flavor, but I chose a spicy Italian organic chicken sausage from the local grocery store. I cooked the chicken sausage separately in a teaspoon of oil until it was crispy. I combined all of the ingredients to cook together in an oiled skillet on low heat for 30 minutes, which melded the flavors, softened the beans, and produced a thick hearty meal.
Spinach, Olives, and Chicken Sausage Gnocchi
- 1 bag gnocchi
- 1 bag fresh spinach washed and dried
- 1 can organic pitted black olives drained and rinsed
- 1 can organic diced tomatoes
- 1 can organic white beans drained and rinsed
- 5 chicken sausages cut into 1 inch pieces (or smaller)
- Olive Oil
- Salt + Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Flakes
- Cook gnocchi according to directions on packaging.
- In a large skillet, add fresh spinach and 1 teaspoon olive oil. As the spinach softens, season with 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, onion flakes, salt and pepper.
- Add diced tomatoes, olives, and white beans. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- In a separate skillet, cook chicken sausage with 1 teaspoon olive oil until skin is crispy.
- Add gnocchi and chicken sausage, to spinach, beans, tomatoes, and olives in skillet. Cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring every so often.
- Drizzle with olive oil and toss. Season to taste. Enjoy!