Secret: I LOVE to cook.
I used to have a recipe blog. You can read it here. Then I got a fancy new camera and coincidentally stopped taking pictures of my dinners. I also stopped writing my recipes AKA I became lazy.
After spending a week in Norway eating fancy home cooked meals every night, and hearing my husband rave about the incredible food, I realized I need to step up my game. I also need to start documenting my successful meals. So there is proof that I can cook. With that being said, I shall be posting recipes and photos for your drooling pleasure.
Hopefully you can try them yourself and will let me know how it goes!
Citrus and Fennel Arugula Salad
This salad was inspired by a roasted fennel salad Sven made for us.
1 tbl orange juice
2 tbl olive oil
1 tbl apple cider vinegar
1 tsp orange rind
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 fennel bulbs, sliced thin
3 cups fresh arugula
1/4 c shredded Parrano cheese (Gouda or Parmesan)
1. Combine vinaigrette ingredients and whisk together. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
2. To chop your fennel, cut off the fennel fronds (green part) and remove the outer layer of the bulb. Cut the fennel bulb in half and remove the triangle shaped core. Thinly slice the fennel.
3. Peel your orange (or cut the top and bottom peel, then remove the sides from top to bottom). Cut your orange into quarters. Then cut each quarter in half. You should have 16 pieces.
4. Wash your arugula in a colander. Shred the cheese.
5. Assemble your salad by pouring the vinagrette into the bottom of a large bowl. Add the fennel and arugula. Toss lightly. Add the oranges and toss again. Top with cheese and serve immediately. The salad is best when it is cold!
Notes: The Parrano cheese adds a nutty bite. I added it at last minute and it really made a difference to the salad. You could also toss in some red onions (but the hubs and I do not like them).