One of my favorite comfort foods is Chicken Parmesan. The combination of savory breaded chicken, rich marinara, and gooey melted cheese makes any bad day better. I love to make this easy Chicken Parmesan Recipe for the family or special occasions. We serve Chicken Parmesan over pasta or alongside mashed potatoes, or enjoyed on its own.
The Best Parmesan Chicken Recipe You’ll EVER Make
The most delicious Chicken Parmesan starts with a breading process. The breading of the chicken seals in moisture (which would otherwise be released while its baking in the oven). After the chicken is breaded, it goes into a tiny bit of olive oil in a sauté pan. A crispy crust is established in the skillet before the the chicken bakes in marinara.
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 c flour seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 c seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 c parmesan cheese add to bread crumbs
- olive oil
- 2 c marinara
- 1 c shredded mozzarella
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a large baking dish lightly with cooking spray or drizzle with olive oil.
- 2. Use three deep dishes or trays for the breading process. Fill one with flour, one with scrambled egg, and one with breadcrumbs.
- 3. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- 4. Cook chicken breast until crispy on each side. Use extra olive oil between chicken breasts to keep the pan moist.
- 5. Lay chicken breast in baking dish. Cover in marinara sauce and cover dish with tinfoil. Cook for 30 minutes.
- 6. Remove tinfoil and sprinkle cheese over the baked chicken breast. Replace tinfoil and bake for 15 minutes.
- 7. Serve over cooked pasta or beside mashed potatoes (my favorite!).
Dairy Free and Gluten Free Options
If you’re on a dairy free or gluten free diet, there are a few adjustments you can make to the recipe. Use a dairy free mozzarella cheese, such as Follow Your Heart or Daiya, instead of full fat mozzarella. My favorite non-dairy parmesan cheese is by Follow Your Heart, but you can also use nutritional yeast in its place for the added flavor. Swap out white flour for any gluten free flour.
I spent a few years making dairy free chicken parmesan and it’s just as delicious! Check out more dairy free recipes here.