One of the meals my Mom always made growing up was pork chops with a vegetable or pasta on the side. Pork chops are delicious and can be prepared a variety of ways. I love Italian pork chops, Pizzaiola style, served with tomatoes and spaghetti.
“Pork chops are always served in an Italian home, regardless of the weather. There is nothing tastier than a juicy chop with some spaghetti on the side” – MDB
4 center cut pork chops, each 1 1/4 inches thick
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 cup drained and chopped, canned, or fresh tomatoes
1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
3/4 cup chicken broth
1. Trim fat from the chops. Season with salt and pepper.
2. In a heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil and brown chops on both sides, using a medium high heat. Remove chops and keep warm.
3. Discard drippings from skillet, add remaining tablespoon of olive oil, and saute onion and garlic over medium heat until limp and golden brown.
4. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, and half the chicken broth. Stir well to deglaze the skillet.
5. Return pork chops to skillet and cover tightly. Cook slowly for about 45 minutes or until chops are tender.
6. Turn chops once or twice during cooking and add more broth if needed.
7. Serve chops smothered with the sauce on top of spaghetti.