When B and I went to register for our wedding back in 2008, we ran through Macy’s and Crate and Barrel like kids in a candy store. We were pointing and scanning and laughing and we had a good time. We just found out that registering for a baby shower is not all fun and games. Big decisions are to be made when registering for your little one. I want to share my baby registry starter list with you.
Who knew picking out the items that your baby will use every day could be so nerve-wracking. How do you decide which stroller? Which car seat? Which nipple cream? There are too many brands of the same item and too many opinions as to which brand is the best.
Before we spent two days in Babies R Us, Target, and online at Amazon, I collected suggestions from all of the Moms that I know. I made a list of the brands that sounded ideal, must-need items, and might-need items. Then I left my list at home. Both days we were to spend registering. I’d like to say that we managed without these lists, but that would be a lie. I left off more than a few important items, and registered for some not-so-important items. I also asked for two of the same thing… more than once.
1. Car Seat – Rumor around town is that you can’t even leave the hospital with the baby without an infant car seat already installed in your car. We registered for the Britax B-Safe Infant Car Seat.
2. Rock N Play Sleeper – Annabelle needs a place to hang out while Mommy cooks, cleans, and does other grown-up stuff. The Rock N Play is supposed to be one of the best rocking sleepers around.
3. Diapers – All babies go to the bathroom. A lot. Register for lots of diapers in different sizes because they are expensive! I don’t have a preference on brand yet, I just want something that gets the job done.
4. Diaper Bag – If you ever want to leave your house with baby in tow, you will need something to carry all of his/her accessories. I’ll post some of my favorite baby bags another day – but for now, I’m loving the Classic Mom Diaper Bag from Pottery Barn Kids.
5. Onesies – Everyone has told me that people will buy my baby clothes, even if we don’t register for them. I have the collection in my closet to prove it – and Annabelle isn’t even born yet! Onesies are an article of clothing all babies wear – and need to have multiples of in case of blowouts.
6. Stroller – If Annabelle is anything like her Momma, she is going to love to be walked around in her stroller. We registered for the Britax B-Ready Stroller because it is safe, adaptable, and our car seat fits right onto it. It also converts into a two seater for Baby 2 someday down the road…
7. Swaddle Wraps – Newborns need to be wrapped up like little burritos to feel safe and snug after they are born. I don’t know how to work these magical cloths yet, but I am sure B and I will learn all about it in our birthing classes.
I already mentioned that everyone has different opinions as to what are the essential items for a baby. These opinions become little voices in your head and they chirp at you when you’re walking through the store. I am learning it is all about preference and what YOU think is the most important stuff. I put together a little starter list for you based on the items that B and I thought Annabelle would need first.