My oldest daughter had the ultimate American Girl birthday experience in New York City. Want to plan a visit to the AG store? Here are the best tips for visiting the incredible American Girl store in NYC.
My oldest daughter had the ultimate birthday experience with her American Girl dolls last year in New York City. Our family of five drove from Connecticut to New York City on a chilly December day to celebrate Annabelle’s 9th birthday. Annabelle’s little sister Ailey brought her AG doll too to join in on the adventure! We had the most memorable time at American Girl Place, shopping at the store, visiting the doll spa, and dining at the AG Café. We cannot wait to return for a trip for Ailey’s 9th birthday.
If you are planning a trip to the American Girl Store in New York City, it can feel a little overwhelming. Add in living two hours away and traveling into the city during the holidays – let’s just say I was wanted to make sure everything was perfect. So, I did my research and aside from a few tiny hiccups, we had the best day ever. Here are my best tips for visiting the American Girl Store in New York City.
The Best Tips for Visiting the American Girl Store in NYC
- Start planning your trip EARLY. The holidays are the busiest time of year to visit the American Girl store in New York City, but it’s doable. Just plan your trip early and make all reservations in advance.
- Book spa/dining reservations over the phone ASAP! When I tell you it’s worth your time to call the NYC reservations team – it’s worth your time. I spoke with the most helpful woman who not only assisted in planning the best birthday ever at the American Girl NYC store, but also answered all of my questions. Don’t forget to mention if the visit is for a special occasion – they have so many perks!
- Know where to stay or park in advance. We did not book a hotel room overnight since we only live 2 hours from NYC. However, these are the closest hotels and a great way to find parking near the AG Place. The store is located right near Rockefeller Center!
- Bring your doll and camera. If you already own an AG doll, make sure to bring her along! The store encourages interactive experiences with the displays and there are lots of photo opportunities.
- Reserve time to visit the Doll Salon and Spa. Our daughters’ dolls were booked for ear piercing, nail painting, and hair styling. The stylists allow you to watch all of the services (which is so fun!) and teach you how to properly care for your doll’s hair. Want to join your doll at the salon? Kids can make an appointment too! Join appointments book up fast – we missed out on this feature.
5 More Tips for Visiting the American Girl Store in NYC
- The American Girl Café is a MUST VISIT. From doll sized chairs to adult sized food portions, one must stop at the delicious Café for a meal. The expansive pre-fixe menu has something for everyone, with complimentary beverages, a warm welcome, first course, main course, and dessert! Have an allergy? They will offer suggestions or make accommodations to your meal. I was truly impressed with the cafe food and experience – I’d love to go back again.
- Stop by the Doll Care Center (if necessary) and drop off your doll for treatment. Formerly known as the Doll Hospital, the new name now reflects a more complete care experience that goes beyond repair services, to include skin cleaning, hair brushing, restyling, and more.
- Be Prepared to Shop. There are so many items to buy in store that you may not see online or in the catalog. My daughters were overwhelmed with everything, but mainly the Bitty Baby section!
- Give yourself time to enjoy everything. There really is so much to see in the store (there are two floors!). Even if you aren’t visiting the cafe, take a moment to go downstairs to check out the bookstore, the history of American Girls, and look at the retired AG items on display.