This year I am starting a new monthly series sharing random things about life.
Enjoy my first installment of Random Things: January 2023.
After kicking off the new year with the stomach flu (every single one of us), I’m happy to announce we are all finally healthy. This is the first January in a long time where I wanted to hit the ground running, but the sickness set me back. I’ve been playing catch-up with Arbor in tow all week long and really missing our babysitter. She accepted a full-time job and we have yet to find a replacement. Until we do, I have a tiny coworker who doesn’t understand the meaning of personal space and really needs to get her own laptop.
7 Things on My Mind
- I’m really determined to finally start working on a project I’ve only dreamt about for the last couple of years. There’s only one problem: I need a few (or 15) uninterrupted hours to sit down and write. Have you ever stayed at a hotel alone? I’m considering a night away to get started on this dream!
- Sweets have been on my brain for the last two weeks – especially Swedish Fish and these vegan cookies. I don’t know why I’m craving them like crazy but after finishing all of the above in my house I’m not letting myself buy/make more!
- I kind of sort of want to read Prince Harry’s memoir.
- I can’t believe they’re turning “Are You There God, It’s Me Margaret” into a movie!!!
- REST – what does it mean to you? My definition of REST has completely changed after reading this article. Now to get my family to read this and understand why when I say, “I need to rest” it means my brain is going to turn off for a few minutes.
- We are installing a barn door over Arbor’s closet this weekend and I’m ordering a new rug for the room tonight. That means I’m FINALLY almost done with her bedroom. It’s only been a year right?
- I’m teaching my daughters how to cook! Annabelle received the American Girl cookbook for Christmas and then my neighbor dropped off two kids cookbooks this week! We are going through the cookbooks and I’m letting the girls pick recipes to try – one every other week!
What I’m Reading and Watching
Journey to the Heart by Melodie Beattie – I flip open this daily meditation book whenever I remember to for inspiration and guidance. Some days I can’t find any connection to the passage but other days it feels like it was written just for me.
Local Woman Missing by Mary Kubica – A missing child and her Mother plus a murdered local woman – how are they connected (if at all)? This thriller is told from four different viewpoints in the past and present. While it may sound confusing to read, it’s actually been easy to listen to the audio version. I’m 3/4 of the way through and cannot wait to figure out how everyone is connected!
Ginny and Georgia – Season 2 – This Mother-Daughter duo is officially one of my favorites of all time (along with Lorelai and Rory). This Netflix series is everything I love – funny, suspenseful, dramatic – and has lots of fun teen moments that make you feel like you’re back in high school again. Note: You must watch Season 1 first!
Death in the Dorms – I have always been a fan of true crime as long as the case has been solved. Death in the Dorms on Hulu examines 6 different murders of college students in the U.S. – the show is well done, sharing all the bits and pieces of each case you would want to know. I may or may not want to ever let my daughters go to college now, but it’s been entertaining me over the last week.
Looking for more t.v. recommendations? Here are some of my favorite recent watches: Emily in Paris, Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery, Fate: The Winx Saga, The School for Good and Evil, House of the Dragon, and Where the Crawdads Sing
Random Sales and Codes for January
- Feast and Fettle is my solution to ‘not having enough time to eat a well balanced dinner.’
- The Alice Walk Winter Sweater Sale is going strong with 20% off this collection with code STAYWARM until Sunday.
- I have a NEW Tonies code for 20% off your Toniebox Starter Kit (and more). The Toniebox is one of our favorite toys – Arbor plays with it every day! Use code 20HOUSTON for the next 72 hours.
- The Lake Pajamas Valentine’s Day Collection is just too cute! I wish I had matching pajamas for me and all three of my girls – but right now I just have Kisses for me and Arbor.
- Looking to restock your favorite skincare and beauty products? The Ulta Love Your Skin Event is going on NOW with daily specials and deals! My favorite Charcoal Mask isn’t on sale, but it’s under $20 and the BEST!
Have a great weekend!